Friday 29 November 2019

An Englishman in... Glasgow

A recent work trip to Glasgow allowed me a first visit to some of the famous old whisky bars in the city and to one of the newer ones!


Although I've been to Glasgow before it's always on the way somewhere else so I've never had time to stop and explore.

There are probably hundreds of whisky bars around Glasgow, but most whisky drinkers will have heard of The Pot Still and The Bon Accord, so they were top of my list of places to visit. I'd also been recommended a number of others including the Ben Nevis, The Piper and The Van Winkle amongst others, but my last choice on this trip was a recent opening - The Gate.


The Pot Still - probably the most famous whisky bar in the city and one I've wanted to visit for a long time.

Opened in the late 1800's, first as a wine and spirits merchants then as a bar, it's changed hands many times with the current owners The Murphy family taking over in 2011.

It has well over 700 whiskies on sale as well as a good section of local real ales.




A warm friendly arrival awaits and the knowledgeable staff can guide you through the huge range and find you something you'll like!


Whilst there I bumped into @whiskyrover Mike and tried a Glen Scotia, Inchmoan, Cadenheads, Murray McDavid's, Glenfarclas, Benromach and Edradour....






The Bon Accord is another famous Glasgow pub, it's a little outside of the city centre but well worth the walk!

The pub was first opened in 1971 making its name selling good real ale and good food. The McDonagh family now own the bar.

It has nearly 400 whiskies on sale.

 


Whilst there I tried a Glasgow 1771 and Tamnavulin.





The Gate is one of Glasgow's newest whisky bars, opening in July 2019.

@BoutiqueyDave recommended it after a recent visit so I knew I had to try it. Located about 20 minutes east of the city centre it's easy to find and also easy to miss, I walked past it twice in the dark! Look out for the neon sign.

They have over 160 whiskies on sale.


After travelling the world as a whisky ambassador and working in award-winning bars Andy Gemmell decided he needed his own pub and opened The Gate as a “Modern Scottish Pub”. Andy wasn't in when I visited but I received a fantastic Scottish welcome from Phil behind the bar, water and pretzels were put in front of me before I'd even taken my coat off!


When I explained my predicament of "wanting something different" after a hard day at work, I was presented with four bottles and a short summary of each. I picked a few to try!




So some great places to drink, but where do you go to get something to soak up the alcohol?

Well on the night I was in The Gate, I grabbed something there. They aren't a food pub and have a very simple menu of four toasties - as you can see they are a little special and were delicious!



On the other nights I was there I visited a couple of restaurants which are well worth a try:

Paesano Pizza on Miller Street create traditional Neapolitan pizza with all ingredients sourced from Italy and cooked in wood-fired pizza ovens.



Large tables and benches create a great communal atmosphere.


Great pizza and ice cream!


And you never know who might run into.....


@Ibon_Mendiguren with his favorite Amarena cherry ice cream oyster!



The Topolabamba is a Mexican restaurant on St Vincent Street with a great atmosphere and extensive menu. Thanks to Coco for guiding us through the choices!




Tapas style plates allow you to try a variety of different foods and it's great for sharing!


It also serves fantastic Margaritas!


A short trip, when I was only free in the evenings, but well worth a visit to any of the places named above if you are in the area!


No comments: