Thursday 9 May 2019

???

A recent sample swap with my ex-mate Paul @WhiskynStuff (now definitely removed from the Christmas Card list) came with a dram labelled "Don't worry about what it is - 40%"


Always up for a challenge - and for trying new whiskies - I thought I'd give it a go. Some initial enquiries assured me it was a real whisky, available to buy and only 40% ABV.



Appearance: Orangey gold in the glass, swirls fall as fast thin legs.

Nose: for a start you don't need to put your nose in or even near the glass, the 'smell' comes out to find you! Very malty with a hint of maple syrup & something else I can't quite put my finger on - burnt toast? burnt marmite toast?
It's not unpleasant, but it's not far off...

Palate: thick syrupy arrival - just like the nose - malty - sweet, horrible..... This is really unpleasant - there is a sickly sweet note which just takes over and coats your mouth. I've tried a few sips but I'm sorry Paul this is going down the sink....

Finish: there isn't one. it just sticks to your teeth and tongue - it's like a waxy sweet malty mess. 🤮

Overall: Well Paul revealed what it was - and it all made sense - it didn't make it any nicer though. It's one of them whiskies you just have to try but.... make sure you have something like a Lagavulin 16yo waiting nearby - you'll need it!

So if you're up for a challenge - get in touch with @WhiskynStuff and he'll gladly send you a sample - he has a 750ml bottle of the stuff. If you're not - here's a link

No comments: