Monday 18 November 2019

Glenfarclas youngster

I have a bit of a love / hate relationship with Glenfarclas, I've huge expectations but have frequently been disappointed. So when I was offered a chance to buy a bottle of 9yo I wasn't exactly enthusiastic.

Photo: @jwbassman_

My mate @jwbassman_ told me he'd designed the label and my enthusiasm grew a little, then when he said it was 48.2% ABV I was sold and bottle number 278 was on it's way to my shelf!


Why love / hate, well for me it was all about the 15yo, I bought a bottle a couple of Christmases ago thinking it would be a nice sherried dram for the cold winter nights. To be honest I was really disappointed - I thought the sherry notes were very weak, little in the way of spice and otherwise uninspiring. A few months later I got hold of a bottle of 105, my Glenfarclas relationship was restored, it was much better at a higher ABV.

This 9yo is a limited bottling of 300 for the @SouthportWhisky Club and the Vino Bar in Edinburgh at 48.2% it has a slightly higher ABV than the 15yo and it's probable use of ex-bourbon and sherry casks (the exact split is not disclosed) in it's maturation makes it a little different, let see what it's like...


Appearance: Mid gold in the glass, swirls leave a thin line which fall as slow thin legs.

Nose: Huge sherry notes, strawberry jam, honey and dried fruit, but fresh rather than old dunnage warehouse notes. Some cut grass / hay type notes and a little tropical fruit.

Palate: Thick spicy arrival, the ABV shows itself. Fruit notes of pineapple and pear, some honey but a bit bite of chilli spice which dominates everything.

Finish: Long lingering oak, spice and a little strawberry jam.

Overall: This isn't a standard Glenfarclas - I think the extra ABV and the ex-bourbon start to it's maturation has added a lovely spice note. The sherry notes are still there - better than the 15yo, similar to to the 105. It's hasn't quite got the punch of the 60% 105 but being younger and fresher for me makes it a very drinkable dram. I can't see this one lasting long!

No comments: